Reuters: Death Toll Hits 63,000
Highlights from Reuters article 2:22 a.m. GMT:
- More than 63,000 dead, thousands more missing
Indonesia: 27,174 known dead, nearly all in Aceh; separatists call truce while during search for people; bodies scattered in streets, fresh water, fuel, food in short supply
Sri Lanka: nearly 22,000 known dead
India: nearly 12,500 known dead, including at least 7,000 in Andaman and Nicobar
Thailand: official toll 1,538 dead, many more may be missing
Maldives, Myanmar, Malaysia, Somalia, Kenya add hundreds more to tally.
- Rescuers enter outlying areas after being cut off for three days
- UNICEF executive director Carol Bellamy said children could account for up to a third of the dead.
- WHO says as many people could die from disease as from original impact
- Risk researcher for reinsurance company estimates economic cost at more than $13 billion
- UN officials have argued rich countries are not providing enough funds
- The United States more than doubled its pledge to $35 million.
- More than 20 countries have pledged emergency aid worth more than $60 million.